Notice for Tournament Play
Because the Magician's SOCD V2 is programmable, it will come under scrutiny by any tournament organization should they know of its presence in your build. It is recommended that you set to the following logic states before playing competitively: Up + Down = Up, Left + Right = Neutral.
The Magicians SOCD Cleaner by Bit Bang Gaming adds SOCD cleaning to nearly any commercial and aftermarket control board, and provides up to 25 SOCD combinations and a programmable SOCD ruleset via app. This robust device truly redefines what is possible in a SOCD cleaner.
What is SOCD?
The fighting game community has enthusiastically embraced a unique arcade input control method that replaces the up, down, left and right directions with pushbuttons instead of a joystick lever.
To those in the scene, this method represents a means to decrease input time and simplify directional control to button muscle memory, pulling off attacks with more confidence and speed. Of those who have learned the nuances of all-button control, desire to put that control in their favorite Fightstick.
SOCD, or Simultaneous Opposite Cardinal Direction is an undesired output that can occur in an all-button control scheme. Unlike a lever, which only produces one direct or diagonal output based on the direction the lever is pulled, it is possible to input two opposite directions when using a pushbutton. This created unpredictable and unwanted behavior in a tournament setting, which can lead to a disqualification. "Cleaning" the direction with simple logic states (Up + Down = Up, Left + Right = Neutral) allows predictable and tournament legal control when two opposite direction buttons are pressed.
Commercial Fightsticks manufactured by Hori, Qanba, MadCatz or others were not originally designed to clean SOCD, as the wiring expected the use of a lever for its directional control. The Magicians SOCD V2 accepts the directional input wiring through its unique terminal connectors, then outputs it to a 5-pin male connector. The Fightstick's joystick connector attaches to this 5-pin connector, allowing it to register cleaned all-button control directions. Further, you can program additional rulesets to perform different input operations.
All configuration is performed via app for iOS or Android. In this app, you can perform and view the following features:
- Changing SOCD cleaning modes, with 25 to choose from.
- Creating your own SOCD rules when you need extra control.
- Saving between four different profiles to switch in between matches and games.
- Changing the cleaned output connector mapping for any control board pinout.
- Changing the cleaned output connector logic convention for compatibility with most control board.
- Real time testing of cleaned outputs to ensure the cleaning profile is configured exactly how you intended it to be.
- Changing the type of BLE advertising to save on battery power or to prevent other players from messing with your settings.
- Reading PCB and app information to stay informed on your setup’s version.
Ease in Connectivity
The Magicians SOCD Cleaner V2 simplifies wiring and installation for the following features:
- Power input via a two-pin screw terminal block and Pass-thru Harness port, which are protected from accidental reverse voltage conditions. The Pass-thru Harness port makes it easier to use aftermarket pass thru cables.
- Direction inputs via a five-pin screw terminal block, allowing the SOCD to accommodate the wiring scheme of your setup.
- Cleaned outputs via a five pin JST NH connector, commonly used for arcade joysticks such as Sanwa JLF. This simplifies the integration of your controller’s existing cables or aftermarket harnesses.
- Micro USB port for power test or firmware update via PC.
- Smart phone app that connects via Bluetooth to quickly configure and test the Magicians SOCD Cleaner during installation, or change modes between matches.
- OMNI port for both direction inputs and LED output for seamless ODIN and LOKI installation.